Scarecrow Video isn’t just a video store. It’s a landmark for all we love about movies.
Each year, they do a month-long challenge to get people to stretch out and watch some movies they’ve never seen before.
The basic guidelines are:
• Watch at least 1 movie per day during the month of October in whatever order suits you.
• Must fall within the psychotronic definition.
• Have fun and get weird.
• If you see something, say something! Post your watches on social media and make sure to tag them with #SCVpsychochallenge. @scarecrowvideo (twitter and facebook) @scarecrow.video.official (instagram)
• Want to be part of B&S About Movies’ Scarecrow entries? Just reply or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are the challenges!
1. START SMALL: It may seem cute at first, but these little ones are always a challenge. Watch one with an evil offspring in it.
2. TROUBLE IN THE TUB: Bath time ain’t always relaxing.
3. DEAD IN THE SUBURBS: Neither is living in the ‘burbs.
4. MASKED MANDATE: We’re still wearing them and so shall tonight’s antagonist.
5. CAKE IN FRIGHT: To celebrate the birth of Donald Pleasence, light a candle, eat a slice and watch one of his many.
6. BEE AFRAID, BEE VERY AFRAID: Buzz through a bee picture, there’s a whole swarm to choose from.
7. THE 7TH OFFERING: Watch the 7th film in a franchise in honor of the 7th year of the challenge.
8. THE MONSTER MASH: Multiple monsters in one movie? That’s a graveyard smash!
9. FULL MOON FEVER: Since the “heavenly body” is out tonight, a lycanthrope story seems just right.
10. THE FIRST WAVE: One made by an indigenous filmmaker or has indigenous cast members.
11. GOLDEN OLDIES: Post-war/50’s movies, from the schlock to the awes.
12. IT’S A REAL FREAK SCENE, JACK: A groovy 60’s grinder.
13. MAD(E) FOR TV: Any 70’s feature length that was made specifically for television.
14. THE RUBY ANNI-VHS-ARY: Watch something that came out in 1982. #onlyonVHS!
15. VIDEO STORE DAY: This is the big one. Watch something physically rented or bought from an actual video store. If you don’t have access to one of these sacred archival treasures then watch a movie with a video store scene in it at least. #vivaphysicalmedia
16. MAKING THE 3RD WALL: One where they’re filming a movie within the movie you’re watching.
17. THE VIDEO NASTY: Watch one of the 72 banned in the UK. And we thought the PMRC was tough…
18. SO MUCH DEATH: The R.I.P. section has been very active this year so today watch a movie with a high body count.
19. DRIPS: Blood, sweat, goop, tears, slime, or questionable muck is a must here.
20. TRIPS: Vacations don’t always go how you planned them. Can you get away from the getaway?
21. TRAPS: To lay or be laid, that is the question.
22. FURGET ABOUT PATTERSON & GIMLIN: Watch a non-American sasquatch movie.
23. PSYCHOGEOGRAPHY: In Psychotronic Challenge, the land haunts YOU! Hopefully that joke, ahem, landed okay. Folk it.
24. HOLEY SHEET!: Ddddid I just ssssee a ghost?
25. CRAIG’S TWIST: When that iffy roommate situation goes sour in a dangerous way.
26. GAMESHOWS: Roll the bones, try your luck, gamble with your life!
27. THE NATURAL ENTERTAINER: Watch one with a pro-wrestler turned actor. Put some raw fun in your movie mania.
28. SPACE ODDITIES: Aliens that imitate humans or take over a human body.
29. EXERCISE OR EXORCISE?: You’ll work it out…
30. DEVILS NIGHT: Watch one with mischief, mayhem or pranks in it but please keep the fires to a minimum.
31. RETIREMENT PARTY: Watch any movie with a character named Kevin in it. Bonus points if it has a badass movie dog.