Thanks for being with us all week as we cover some of our favorite giallo films.
I’d like to give a shout-out to Giallo of the Month Club, which you can find on Twitter and Instagram, with the episodes available on Spotify (and anywhere else you listen to podcasts). The last show about The Red Queen Kills Seven Times is a must-listen.
So far this week, we’ve covered the following:
- Lipstick and Blood: Lindsay Shonteff stops making Bond ripoff films long enough to make a scummy and shoddy SOV that’s either a satire or he’s swine.
- Last Stop on the Night Train: You may only know Macha Méril as the doomed psychic of Deep Red, but here she’s the maniacal woman behind a series of escalating bursts of sadism.
- Senza via d’uscita: Marisa Mel in a pre-Argento giallo that feels more krimini than Crystal Plumage.
- Al Tropico del Cancro: Anita Strindberg goes on vacation to Haiti and discovers a miracle drug, murder and mondo footage.
- Le Seuil Du Vide: Threshold of the Void is about art and a room for rent with an unending abyss within a locked room.
- Extrasensorial: Michael Moriarty in an Alberto Martino-directed giallo about twins? You know it.
- The Killer Is On the Phone: Telly Savalas is the killer. He never uses a phone. Don’t let that stop you from watching this.
- Senza Sapere Niente Di Lei: Without Knowing Anything About Her is an arty pre-Argento take on form, with love and insurance fraud the tale.
- L’occhio Dietro La Parete: Eyes Behind the Wall is a sexualized nightmare of voyeurism, loneliness and, well, John Phillip Law full-frontal nudity.
- Una Jena In Cassaforte: Some of the wildest fashions you’ll see in a giallo are in this story of a team of bank robbers trying to split up some diamonds.
- Non Aver Paura Della zia Marta: Lucio Fulci presented this Mario Bianchi written and directed movie, also known as Murder Secret.
- Marta: This really could be Marisa Mel week. This is the best acting I’ve seen of her. This time, she’s a woman on the run falling in love with a man who may or may not have killed his last wife.
- The Man with the Glass Eye: An Edgar Wallace krimini.
- La Orca: A Patty Heart-style kidnapping gone wrong.
If you’d like to see all of the giallo films we’ve covered, check our Letterboxd list.