This Friday — yes, Friday! — travel to the Groovy Doom Facebook page at 8 PM for another double feature evening! We’re about to travel to 1977, which I always refer to as the end of the world, as pre-millennial tension gives way to serial killing and mayhem.
Up first…the one and done director/writer/producer/editor/stuntman and probaly the caterer too Dave Adams created a movie that posits that Berkowitz wasn’t the only little brat driven to ritualistic murder.
For your drinking pleasure, may I present…
Son of Sam (based on this recipe)
- 1 1/2 ounces light rum (Bacardi Silver is a decent one)
- 1/2 ounce apricot brandy (Jacquin’s is a good brand)
- 1/4 ounce lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grenadine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Fill your shaker with ice until the dog next door tells you to stop, but probably around half-full. Pour all the ingredients in and mix well.
- Strain into the glass of your choice. Some say a cocktail glass but I’m probably going to use my Profundo Russo mug.
Our second film is made on a $3,000 budget 1977 exploitation film that has plenty of credits, but most of them belonging to one man: Roger Watkins, who also made the porn films Corruption and Her Name Was Lisa. It was shot on a camera given to the director by Otto Preminger.
Serial Killer (based on this recipe)
- 1 ounce coconut rum
- 1 ounce spiced rum (I’m going with Kraken here)
- 1 ounce light rum
- 2 1/2 ounces orange juice
- 2 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
- 3/4 ounces grenadine
- Mix everything in your shaker and make the ingredients consider how their children will come at them with knives.
- Strain well, pour over ice and keep reminding yourself it’s only a cocktail.
You can watch these movies on Tubi: