This week, we have two more movies that are nearly impossible to eat during. Yes, if you have helminthophobia, scoleciphobia or vermiphobia, this week’s show is not for you!
Up first is Juan Piquer Simón’s 1988 infested opus, Slugs. Black slugs spawned from the disposal of toxic waste have infiltrated the water supply of a small town, but no one wants to listen to scientists. Oh man — the director of Pieces making a bug movie? You know it.
Here’s something to drink during it.
Naked and Crazy Frozen Slugs (based on this recipe)
- 2 oz. vodka
- 3 oz. pineapple juice
- 1/2 oz. blue curacao
- 3 oz. seltzer
- Gummy worm ice cubes
- You can make the ice cubes as simple or complicated as you want. If you want some more blue or green color, simply pour Gatorade or your favorite fruit-flavored drink into an ice cube tray. Then, drop in a few worms per cube. Freeze in advance.
- In your cocktail shaker, toss in vodka and pineapple juice with some ice. Shake until chilled.
- Place wormy ice cubes in the glass of your choice, then top with your mix. Then, top with seltzer (or your favorite sparkling water) and blue curacao.
NOTE: For the non-alcohol lovers out there, you can use Torani brand blue curacao-flavored syrup here and skip the booze.
If you have any appetite left, you won’t for long. Up next is the 1976 crawler Squirm. We’re going to make a special drink to go with it, too.
Gusano (The Worm) (based on this recipe)
- 1.5 oz. tequila
- 1.5 oz. pineapple juice
- 1/2 oz. lemon juice
- A sprig of Thai basil
- Dash of simple syrup
- Coarse salt to rim your glass
- Muddle the basil and simple syrup together.
- Pour tequila and lemon juice together and swirl around in a glass.
- Rim a glass with salt, then pour both mixes together. Enjoy, but watch out for worms.
BONUS: If you’re not into alcohol — or just want to celebrate one of the weirder scenes in this movie — here’s how to make an egg cream, which features into the plot.
New York Style Egg Cream (taken from this Food Network recipe)
- 3 tbsp. chocolate syrup
- 1/4 cup milk or half and half
- Club soda (to taste)
- Pour chocolate syrup and your dairy of choice into a glass.
- While beating it hard with a fork — watch your mind, dirtball — slowly add club soda until the glass is nearly full.
- Add a straw and drink it while cold.
You can watch both of these movies on Tubi.
BONUS: Ultra special secret recipe for those who read all the way!
This one is really simple. Get a small plastic storage container, fill it with some gummy worms and cover them with some vodka. Put them in the refrigerator and stir every once in a while. Within two days, the booze should be completely evaporated. Beware — these are strong.