ABOUT THE AUTHOR: I’ve reached out to some of my favorite people, websites and personalities to ask, “What are your ten favorite slashers?” Notice I didn’t say the ten best. I said your ten favorites. That’s because I want to know the what’s and why’s of this bastard genre of horror. Slasher Trash posts more about this genre than anyone I know and you can read more on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook,Letterboxd and on the site, SlasherTrash.com!
He asked if he could restrict his top ten to his own qualifiers, as a list of this magnitude would be too hard otherwise before deciding on sharing his top ten obscure slashers:
10. The Incubus (1982): Weird and creepy with a supernatural edge, The Incubus is a sleazy, fever dream slasher.
9. Death Screams (1982): You don’t get much cheaper than Death Screams but this golden era doozy features fun kills and hilarious dialogue.
8. Too Scared To Scream (1984): A crime thriller turned slasher, Too Scared is giallo-esque in its approach. An intriguing whodunit.
7. Fatal Games (1984): A javelin throwing killer picks off the high school athletics team. What’s not to like?
6. Nightmares (1980): Well shot and exploitative, Nightmares boasts fantastic POV stalk & slash with blood and breasts to boot.
5. Mortuary (1983): An off-kilter tone sets Mortuary apart from its rivals. The killer guise is suitably scary and the cast elevates the material.
4. Blood Tracks (1985): Bonkers The Hills Have Eyes clone. Blood Tracks is madcap entertainment with a glee filled variety of deaths.
3. Girl’s Nite Out (1982): A killer dressed as a bear mascot terrorises a college campus. It’s ridiculous but it’s a damn good show that provides a chilling twist finale.
2. Don’t Open Till Christmas (1984): A batshit crazy British slasher makes Silent Night Deadly Night look tame. A wildly humorous, mean spirited body count bonanza.
1. Hide & Go Shriek (1988): A bunch of kids celebrating graduation get picked off one by one after breaking into a furniture store. A fine slasher which utilizes its excellent location and crazy cross-dressing killer!
Thanks Slasher Trash! If you’re interested in sending us your list, either reply here or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
What a great read! This guy sure does love his slashers, ha ha!
Thanks for inviting me to compile a fun list for you.
I love this site and often get directed here from IMDb when checking out reviews on random slashers!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Wow. That’s awesome. Yeah, Sam’s an animal with the site, so it’s great to hear it’s not all in vain.