This Friday, we’re meeting at the Groovy Doom Facebook page at 8 PM for another double feature that will need some strong drinks to get you through. Just like last week, fair warning — both of these films are PACKED with gore. If necrophilia and babysitters getting burned in ovens aren’t your thing, stay away (but please come watch with us!).
Up first is the 1979 Joe D’Amato chunkblower known as Buio Omega. For this, we’ve decided to start simple, because the second cocktail is going to burn out all your brainstems. Well, even my simple is complicated, so here are two recipes:
Dark and Stormy (simple version)
- 2 oz. dark rum (Goslings Black Seal is traditional, but I use Kraken)
- 3 oz. ginger beer
- 1/2 oz. lime juice
- Fill a highball (or Big Gulp) glass with ice. Add rum.
- Pour in ginger beer and lime. Stir, garnish with a lime wedge and drink up.
Beyond the Darkness and Stormy (complicated version, based on this recipe)
- 2 oz. dark rum
- 3 oz. ginger beer (go for a lower sugar and spicier brand)
- 1 oz. spiced simple syrup (read on…)
- Lime for garnish
Making this recipe means making your simple syrup a few days in advance. To do that, use this recipe:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 sticks cinnamon (making sure to grate a quarter stick into the mix)
- 30 whole cloves
- 10 allspice berries (or just double the ground allspice below)
- 1/4 tsp ground all spice
- 1 vanilla bean cut in half and seeds scraped out
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger sliced (you can always use a dash of dry ginger spice, but I have some rad frozen ginger cubes I’ve been dying to use)
- 3 oz lime juice
Making simple syrup is, well, simple. Throw everything in a pot and simmer it over medium — not too hot — heat. Once it gets warm, turn it on low and stir it until it thickens on your spoon. Let it cool.
Then, strain out the spices and store it in a container in the fridge.
Here’s how to make this magic work:
- Fill a highball (or Big Gulp) glass with ice. Add the ginger beer and then the simple syrup. You’re going to be amazed, because the syrup will sink to the bottom.
- Hold a spoon upside down at the top of the glass at the top of the ginger beer later. Pour the rum over the spoon like you’re an absinthe fiend. Prepare yourself to shit your pants at how cool this is. I’m not going to spoil it.
Are you ready to go on a journey? Absurd is one of my favorite movies ever — I know I say that all the time — so this axe murder movie demands, well, a drink that lives up to the ideals of the film itself.
Mikos the Axe Murderer (based on this recipe)
- 1 oz. amaretto
- 1 oz. gin
- 1 oz. white rum
- 1 oz. Southern Comfort
- 1 oz. tequila (I use Espolon)
- 1 oz. triple sec
- 1 oz. vodka
- A splash of 7-Up or Sprite or the generic brand of your fancy
- 1/2 oz. grenadine
- As much pineapple juice as you want
- Throw it in a glass with lots of ice. Get a straw and chop your head off.
I can’t wait to go buy little bottles of everything for this. Seriously, this is going to be an experiment in just how much we can all safely enjoy films and drinking at the same time. That said, you don’t need to drink to enjoy movies. Sobriety is cool, too.
You can watch both of these movies on Tubi.